Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Reading help idea

I was reading a great book this past weekend, "Homeschooling the Challenging Child" by Christine Field, just for reference of course :), and came across a neat idea for working on reading skills.

As your child learns words, write them out on index cards to build up a word bank... Lay them in front of him and call out each word. Have him pick up the correct card from the array until all the cards are gone.

Sounds simple enough, right? This seems like a great trick to utilize that kinesthetic learning (that kiddo that just needs to move move move). I will be trying this one!

2 comments:

Margot said...

Hi, thanks for visiting my blog. I really like yours and will definately come back to check in again.

Susan Critelli said...

We are homeschoolers, too, since 1989. One down, one to go.

The technique works for just the reason you describe. They hold it, they can trace it with their finger, they hear it when you read the word, and they see it on the card.

When my son was little, someone gave me a book and kit from that school that wrote "How to Teach Your Baby to Read". It came with a lot of sight words on large cards,as well as blank cards you could write on, kind of like you are talking about. I used to show them to him when he was in his high chair eating, but eventually I felt kind of stupid showing flash cards to an infant.

I forgot about it, but when I would read to him, he would want to know what something said, whereas my daughter who later became an artist always wanted to look at the pictures.

He spoke in complex, complete sentences by the time he was 18 months, and read pretty well by the time he was three. I did NOT teach him to read. I just read to him and answered his questions.

Now, if I can just get him to read a whole book by the time he is 18...